Vijaydurg, the oldest fort on the Sindhudurg coast, is one of the most interesting because it was virtually impregnable. Its geographical advantages include the 40 kilometer long Waghotan creek. While large vessels could not enter the shallow water of this creek. The Maratha king Shivaji took control of this fort from the Adil Shahi dynasty only in 1656 - after which the present day battlements and fortifications were built and then was rechristened "Vijaydurg". Thereafter the fort was the main Maratha naval base under Sirkel Kanoji Angre and his son Sirkel Tulaji Angre. The fort was attacked in 1717, 1720 and 1724 by the British, Portuguese and Dutch - but could not be conquered.